Back in the 1970s the majority of East Lothian archival material was entrusted to the then Scottish Records Office, now the National Records of Scotland. Late last year this was returned to the archives at the John Gray Centre. Encompassing the core burgh and council records it offers insight into almost every aspect of East Lothian life for the past 700 years.
The material includes the original burgh records for the traditional burghs of the County, dating back to 1318 for Haddington, 1539 for North Berwick, 1560 for Musselburgh and 1610 for Dunbar with Cockenzie & Port Seton, East Linton, Prestonpans and Tranent all with records starting in the mid to late 19th century.
We have also received the District and County Council Records, providing further insights into the history and administration of the local area. These sets include records relating to hospitals, poor relief, roads, valuation rolls and schools.
In addition to this we are in negotiation to allow onsite access to digital copies of the Kirk Session minutes, shedding light on the religious and social goings on within the County.
All the material has been catalogued and is searchable here on the website. As we come across exciting discoveries we’ll share them with you on our blog. Heres a couple of tasters of what we’ve already found among the returned records with much more to follow!