Please note: Due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak we are currently closed.
Subscriptions Received By Dunbar Lifeboat Committee
- Ref No: EL116
- Repository: East Lothian Archive Service
- Date: 1808
- Description: Printed list of contributors and contributions made to the lifeboat committee. List printed by George Miller. 4 pages
- AdminHistory: In 1807, a storm led to a wreck and loss of life at Thorntonloch, by Dunbar. This resulted in a committee being formed to raise money for a lifeboat for the town. According to records, it cost 150 to purchase the vessel from Greathead's yard at South Shields in the 1780s, and that funds were raised for a carriage, boathouse and other equipment. Concerned about the loss of life through shipwreck along the East Lothian coastline, George Miller, local printer, who had campaigned for a lifeboat for some years promoted the purchase, outfitting and establishment of a lifeboat for the county. Miller was on the committee along with, David Laing, boat builder and William Brown, accountant. East Lothian's first lifeboat was stationed at Dunbar in 1808 and the lifeboat was called to her first rescue just one year later, in 1808. The record of the vessel's first service was under Coxswain David Laing to HMS Cygnet in distress at Lumsden Shore (Berwickshire). Dunbar's first lifeboat had a subscription list which included the gentry from East Lothian, merchants, farmers and individuals from Dunbar's "shore" community. George Miller organised a subscription to raise the funds and a committee to oversee the administration of the service. One of the largest donations came from the Society of Sailors, Dunbar. The crews of these early boats and the later RNLI would normally come from the local maritime or fishing community and its associated industries. This was a tradition continued in some families for several generations. The boat was used between 1808 and 1823.
- PreviousNumbers: EL254
- Extent: 0.007
- Level: Item
- Access Status: Open
- Associated Period:
- For more information contact: East Lothian Archive Service