- Ref No: EL248
- Repository: East Lothian Archive Service
- Date: 1890s-1951
- Description: Mostly photocopies with occasional original of promotional material, letters and agreements relating to the company.
- AdminHistory: Glenkinchie Distillery is owned by Diageo. Glenkinchie Distillery derives its name from its position in the centre of the Glen of the Kinchie, a tributary of the River Tyne. It was originally built in about 1824 by George Rate of Huntlaw and his brother John, of Milton. By 1853, the distillery was in disuse, but was revived during 1880-81 by The Glenkinchie Distillery Co. The whole of the distillery was reconstructed in 1890 when it became a limited company under the ownership of James Gray. The premises was completely rebuilt and operated as distillers and maltsters until July 1914. In 1917, the distillery became part of Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of the Distiller's Company Ltd. However, in 1917, the government decided that all malt whisky distilleries should close in order to preserve barley for foodstuffs. Glenkinchie remained closed until 1919 and likewise, 30 years later, with the outbreak of World War Two, the supply of barley for distilling purposes was severely restricted, hence Glenkinchie's output was dramatically reduced. The buildings are located in a valley, about 2 miles from Pencaitland. The location is ideal for the production of malt whisky, surrounded by farmland and with an abundant supply of sparkling hill water from the Lammermuirs. This alkaline water contributes to the distinctive character of the whisky. The distillery itself occupies an area of 17 acres and the company owns an adjoining farm of 85 acres which is rented out to tenants grazing. Presently, the distillery bowling green and club house are still there but the latter now functions as a visitors' centre; a shop was opened in 1986. The centre offers visitors the chance to see a real working malt whisky distillery, the only one of its kind in the area. Furthermore, the old maltings have been made into a Museum of Malt Whisky Production. The centrepiece of the Museum is a one-sixth size model of a malt whisky distillery built by Basset-Lowke of Northampton for the British Empire Exhibition, Wembley, of 1924-25.
- Extent: 0.007
- Level: Fonds
- Access Status: Open
- Associated Period:
- For more information contact: East Lothian Archive Service
This document forms part of a catalogue
Jump to this document in the hierarchyCatalogue