Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
Excavation At Pencraig Hill, A1 Upgrade Project
- HER number: MEL6553
- HER number: EEL268
- Site Name: Excavation At Pencraig Hill, A1 Upgrade Project
- Grid Reference: 356734 676239
- Civil Parish:
- Organisation: Glasgow University Archaeological Research Division
- Description: (1) In July 2002, GUARD undertook an excavation at Pencraig Hill as part of the A1 Upgrade Project. This followed topsoil strip monitoring carried out in July 2002 along the proposed route of the new A1, which revealed an area of archaeological interest at Pencraig Hill. The excavation revealed a group of features which are likely to be an earlier Neolithic long mortuary enclosure.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places:
- (1) Unpublished document: McLellan, K. 2003. Pencraig Hill, East Lothian.
- (2) Monograph: Lelong, O and MacGregor, G. 2008. The Lands of Ancient Lothian: Interpreting the Archaeology of the A1.