Geophysical Survey At Kilspindie Castle, Aberlady, East Lothian 1995
- HER number: MEL630
- HER number: EEL450
- Site Name: Geophysical Survey At Kilspindie Castle, Aberlady, East Lothian 1995
- Grid Reference: 346187 680019
- Civil Parish:
- Organisation: CFA Archaeology Ltd
- Description: (1) In 1995, CFA Archaeology Ltd undertook a geophysical around the remains of the 16th century Kilspindie Castle, in a field known as the Glebe or Butcher's Field N of Aberlady. A gradiometer survey was carried out to attempt to produce a context for finds recovered from the topsoil.
A number of features of archaeological interest were detected, including possible structures, enclosures, clusters of pits and isolated examples as well as two rows which seem to define an 'avenue', as well as anomalies of unknown function. Any suggestions as to dating of the features would be premature, although it is probable that at least two phases of activity are represented.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places:
- (1) Unpublished document: Neighbour,T, Shaw, W and Cavanagh, E. 1995. Kilspindie Castle, Aberlady: Geophysical Survey, A Preliminary Report.