Geophysical Survey At Kilspindie Castle, Aberlady, East Lothian 1998
- HER number: MEL630
- HER number: EEL451
- Site Name: Geophysical Survey At Kilspindie Castle, Aberlady, East Lothian 1998
- Grid Reference: 346176 680020
- Civil Parish:
- Organisation: CFA Archaeology Ltd
- Description: (1) In 1998, CFA Archaeology Ltd undertook a geophysical survey around the remains of the 16th-century Kilspindie Castle which lie in Glebe Field, N of Aberlady. A resistivity survey, complementing an earlier gradiometer survey (Neighbour, Shaw and Cavanagh 1995), was carried out in order to establish the position and nature of any settlement within the field.
Several features of archaeological interest were detected and at least three phases of activity are clearly present within the survey area. The latest features include the possible remains of an enclosure. Earlier features include the remains of two timber halls (one overlying the other at right angles) of possible Anglian or earlier date; a series of ditch-defined enclosures of probable Anglian morphology; a roughly pear-shaped enclosure (within which there appears to be a double palisade line); and annular features which appear to be the footings of ring-groove houses.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places:
- (1) Unpublished document: Neighbour,T, Tulloch, B, and Davis, C. 1998. Kilspindie Castle, Aberlady: Geophysical Survey, A Preliminary Report.