Rescue Archaeological Works At Auldhame 2008
- HER number: MEL1743
- HER number: MEL1943
- HER number: EEL502
- Site Name: Rescue Archaeological Works At Auldhame 2008
- Grid Reference: 360179 684743
- Civil Parish:
- Organisation: AOC Archaeology Group (Scotland)
- Description: (1) In January 2008, AOC Archaeology Group were commissioned by Historic Scotland to undertake rescue archaeological works at the site of Auldhame medieval cemetery and chapel after further damage to the site in December 2007 during deep ploughing. Human bones were recovered from the surface of the damaged area and it was noted that the protective Terram Geotextile matting which had been laid on the surface of the archaeological site at the end of the 2005 excavation had also been brought to the surface. In addition, areas of what was once buried archaeological deposits were also present on the surface including a large amount of stone derived from the buried chapel structure.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places:
- Digital archive: Crone, A. & Hindmarch E. 2017. Auldhame.
- Digital archive: Crone, A. & Hindmarch E. 2015. Living and dying at Auldhame, East Lothian: The excavation of an Anglian monastic settlement and medieval parish church.
- (1) Digital archive: Hindmarch, E. 2008. Auldhame, East Lothian 2008: Human Remains Call Off.
- (1) Unpublished document: Hindmarch, E. 2008. Auldhame, East Lothian 2008: Human Remains Call Off.