Evaluation To The Rear Of 23 Westgate, North Berwick
For copyright information please contact ELC Archaeology Service
- HER number: MEL9767
- HER number: EEL524
- Site Name: Evaluation To The Rear Of 23 Westgate, North Berwick
- Grid Reference: 354960 685207
- Civil Parish:
- Organisation: Headland Archaeology
- Description: (1) In February to May 2008, Headland Archaeology Ltd undertook an archaeological evaluation on land to the rear of 23 Westgate, North Berwick as a condition of planning consent ahead of a residential development. The site had been identified as having archaeological potential as it was thought to lie immediately adjacent to the western boundary of the town’s historic core. The initial phase of investigation involved the excavation of two evaluation trenches within the footprint of the proposed residential property. The earliest archaeological deposit was a possible buried soil containing medieval pottery and other domestic waste. This was concentrated toward the southern and western side of the site and probably represented an accumulation of material over stabilised dunes. Cut through this deposit and the dune sand was a ditch on a northeast-southwest alignment, observed in both trenches. The subsequent monitoring of excavations for foundation trenches revealed that the ditch altered its course to run northwest-southeast. The feature was thought to represent two sides of a plot boundary that defined a former rectilinear property. Almost all of the dateable ceramics, from both the ditch and the buried soil through which the ditch was cut, were from the medieval period. If the ditch was representative of a plot boundary, it implies that the limits of the medieval town were likely to be further west than has been previously assumed.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places:
- (1) Digital archive: Bain, K. 2008. Results of Archaeological Evaluation at Westgate, North Berwick, East Lothian.
- (1) Unpublished document: Bain, K. 2008. Results of Archaeological Evaluation at Westgate, North Berwick, East Lothian.