Evaluation At Muirpark Drive, Tranent
For copyright information please contact ELC Archaeology Service
- HER number: EEL617
- Site Name: Evaluation At Muirpark Drive, Tranent
- Grid Reference: 341498 672339
- Civil Parish:
- Organisation: Alder Archaeology Ltd
- Description: (1) In April 2010, Alder Archaeology Ltd undertook an archaeological evaluation on a green field site at Muirpark Drive, Tranent, in advance of residential development. The development site is in an area with nearby prehistoric sites and where coal mining has taken place since at least the late 17th century. The requirement was to evaluate 5% of the available area of 3.5ha. Twenty trenches were excavated and recorded. The trenches revealed modern ploughsoil over a thin layer of subsoil over mixed deposits of glacial till/boulder clay. Several phases of 19/20th century field drains were recorded dating the period of Agricultural Improvement. No archaeological evidence of any settlement or agricultural activity predating the insertion of the field drains was revealed and no significant finds were recovered. It appears that any evidence of such earlier activity, if indeed it had existed, must have been quite shallow and subsequently eradicated by modern ploughing.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- (1) Unpublished document: Cachart, R. 2010. Archaeological Evaluation, Muirpark Drive, Tranent, East Lothian, TR01.
- (2) Digital archive: Cachart, R. 2010. Archaeological Evaluation, Muirpark Drive, Tranent, East Lothian, TR01.