Excavation Inside Stoneypath Tower, Whittinghame
- HER number: MEL1001
- HER number: EEL679
- Site Name: Excavation Inside Stoneypath Tower, Whittinghame
- Grid Reference: 359577 671347
- Civil Parish:
- Organisation: Headland Archaeology
- Description: (1) In February to May 2000, Headland Archaeology Ltd undertook a watching brief during clearing out of fallen debris inside Stoneypath Tower and excavation of the lower in situ deposits that would be affected by the restoration of the tower. Four phases of occupation or use of tower, built in the 15th century, were identified: 1) late medieval occupation, 2) alterations to the building and 16th-19th century finds, 3) after the building had fallen into disrepair, Room C2 was converted into a doocot, 4) after the vault collapsed the debris was levelled off and some repairs took place. The tower was then abandoned.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places:
- (1) Unpublished document: Dalland, M. 2000. Results of Archaeological Excavation inside Stoneypath Tower, by Garvald, East Lothian.