Watching Brief At Dunbar Parish Church
For copyright information please contact ELC Archaeology Service
- HER number: MEL1514
- HER number: EEL719
- Site Name: Watching Brief At Dunbar Parish Church
- Grid Reference: 368166 678574
- Civil Parish:
- Organisation: East Lothian Council Archaeology Service
- Description: (1) In July 2012 East Lothian Council Archaeology Service attended excavations at Dunbar Parish Church, where workmen had uncovered human remains while digging a pit for a lift shaft inside the west end of the church. The bones were disarticulated and lay against the west wall of the church in a shallow depression. Finds from the soil included an iron nail, oyster shell and window glass, suggesting thast the bones were originally disturbed during the 19th century rebuilding of the church and subsequently reburied together. Beneath the bones was a probable graveyard soil, which also contained occasional bone fragments. The human remains were reinterred during the present construction works.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places:
- (1) Unpublished document: Jones, E. 2012. Dunbar Parish Church Lift Shaft Report.