Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
Watching Brief At Haddington Joint Campus
For copyright information please contact ELC Archaeology Service
- HER number: MEL9773
- HER number: EEL776
- Site Name: Watching Brief At Haddington Joint Campus
- Grid Reference: 351284 673557
- Civil Parish:
- Organisation: AOC Archaeology Group (Scotland)
- Description: (1) Between August 2011 and June 2012 a programme of Archaeological Works was carried out by AOC Archaeology Group during ground-breaking works associated with the construction of a new primary school, Haddington Joint Campus. Haddington Joint Campus is located on the site of the now demolished St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Primary School. Although no archaeological remains were previously known on the application site it is located either on or close to the line of the town defences associated with the siege of Haddington of 1548. No trace was found of either siege works or other features relating to the 1548 siege of Haddington.
Evidence of archaeological activity was limited to the southeast portion of the site where an undated ditch, two furrows, a post-medieval or recent linear, subrectangular feature of similar date and six hot beds were found. The hot beds clearly relate to the hot beds shown on the 1855 Ordnance Survey and are presumably of mid-19th century date. The hot beds are omitted from the 1895 Ordnance Survey suggesting that they had been removed by that date. All the features identified were on similar alignments to divisions shown within the nursery on an 1855 Ordnance Survey map and may therefore be of horticultural origin. No trace was found of either siege works or other features relating to the 1548 siege of Haddington.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places:
- (1) Unpublished document: Bradley-Lovekin, T. 2012. Haddington Joint Campus: Monitored Topsoil Strip Report.
- (2) Digital archive: Bradley-Lovekin, T. 2012. Haddington Joint Campus: Monitored Topsoil strip report.