Watching Brief At 30 High Street North Berwick
- HER number: MEL2451
- HER number: EEL802
- Site Name: Watching Brief At 30 High Street North Berwick
- Grid Reference: 355364 685350
- Civil Parish:
- Organisation: Headland Archaeology
- Description: (1) A proposed housing development behind the High Street frontage lies in an archaeologically sensitive area and archaeological monitoring was therefore incorporated into the terms of the planning consent for this site. Beneath a dark grey loamy topsoil, an earlier garden soil contained an assemblage of late medieval pottery sherds, with occasional animal bones and oyster shells. No archaeological features or structures were identified in the foundation trenches. The early garden soil is interpreted as a well-preserved late medieval backland area, associated with the High Street frontage. The early garden soil overlay windblown sand. Evidence from earlier archaeological observations nearby suggests that this windblown sand horizon, interspersed with occupation and midden deposits, may be 2m or more deep.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places:
- Bibliographic reference: Lowe, C. 1997d. '30 High Street, North Berwick (North Berwick parish), watching brief', Discovery Excav Scot 1997, p.30.
- (1) Unpublished document: Lowe, C & Baker, L. 1997. Report of archaeological watching brief at 30 High Street, North Berwick.