Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
Bullet Impact Survey At St. Mary's Church Haddington
For copyright information please contact ELC Archaeology Service
- HER number: MEL1100
- HER number: EEL842
- Site Name: Bullet Impact Survey At St. Mary's Church Haddington
- Grid Reference: 351901 673615
- Civil Parish:
- Organisation: Connolly Heritage Consultancy
- Description: (1) From May to September 2013 a group from the University of the Third Age, and David Connolly of Connolly Heritage Consultancy, undertook a survey of the southern wall of St. Mary's Church, Haddington, as part of the Peter Potter Gallery Monument Project. The aim of the survey was to record bullet holes derived from arquebus shot during the Siege of Haddington in 1547/48, which are still visible in the surviving church wall masonry. The survey recorded 428 bullet holes, allowing an insight into the direction and impact trajectory of the bullets fired during the siege, and a complex heat map and firing direction to be produced for all the bullets recorded.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places:
- (1) Unpublished document: Connolly, D. 2014. St. Mary's Parich Church, Haddington, East Lothian: Bullet Impact Assessment (South External Wall).
- (2) Digital archive: Connolly, D. 2014. St. Mary's Parich Church, Haddington, East Lothian: Bullet Impact Assessment (South External Wall).