Drummohr House, Walled Garden / Boundary Wall
For copyright information please contact ELC Archaeology Service
- HER number: MEL125
- HER number: MEL10022
- Site Name: Drummohr House, Walled Garden / Boundary Wall
- Grid Reference: 336982 673285
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Tall boundary wall, originally enclosing 18th century walled garden
- Description: (1) This substantial wall originally formed the north side of the walled garden of Drummohr House, built in the 18th century. The wall measures about 10 m tall, made of sandstone and with joist holes near the top. The wall contains flues for heating.
This wall is included in the listing for Drummohr House.
Extract from Listed Building Description:
BOUNDARY WALL: sandstone rubble and red brick wall adjoining house to E, incorporating doorway with vertically-boarded timber door, surmounted by bracketed segmental pediment with inscription, reading 'Home is the Resort of Love, of Joy, of Peace, of Plenty, Where Supporting and Supported, Polished Friends and Dear Relations Mingle into Bliss'.
WELL: circular-plan well to W of house, comprising 20th century sandstone rubble enclosing wall, metal grid covering well opening.
C MacWilliam, LOTHIAN (1978), p178-9.
B Group with Drummore House, East Lodge, Boundary Wall and Gatepiers (see separate listing). A simple classical house made imposing by its elaborately decorative pediments. Drummore House was the residence of Hew Dalrymple of Drummore, who became a Lord of Session in 1726, and whose portrait, by Alan Ramsay, is in the Scottish National Portrait Gallery . The pediment in the boundary wall was originally above the door now obscured by the later entrance porch at the principal elevation. According to MacWilliam, the interior includes a deeply coved ceiling in the staircase well, a large first floor drawing room with a rococo ceiling on a bracketed cornice, a white marble rococo chimneypiece, and some elaborate wood carving.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (1) Unpublished document: Simpson, B. 2007. Drummohr House Walled Garden.