- HER number: MEL1012
- Site Name: Linplum
- Grid Reference: 355350 670300
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Summary: Site of ancient mansion house of Linplum
- Description: NT57SE 22 5535 7030
For (successor and present) Linplum House (NT 55470 70417), see NT57SE 89.00.
(NT 5535 7030) Linplum (NR) (site of)
OS 6" map (1969)
Only much-reduced fragments of the S, E and W walls of the ancient mansion house of Linplum remain, together with parts of the S and W walls of the garden which was attached to this building. Linplum was square, with a tower at its N end, (nothing of this part survives, however); from the thickness and general appearance of the remains, it would appear to have been a place of considerable strength and size. Formerly a residence of the Hay family, it was occupied by the farmers of Linplum prior to the erection of the present farmhouse.
Name Book 1853
This site falls in a walled kitchen garden. No trace of the mansion house is to be seen.
Visited by OS (JP) 8 July 1975.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Bibliographic reference: Knight Frank and Rutley. 1989. Linplum, by Haddington, East Lothian: [sale particulars]. sale brochure.
- Bibliographic reference: Name Book (County). Original Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No.44, 36, 47-8.