Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
Whittingehame Fundamental Bench Mark
- HER number: MEL10182
- Site Name: Whittingehame Fundamental Bench Mark
- Grid Reference: 357450 672770
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: OS fundamental benchmark
- Description: (1)(2) One of the Ordnance Survey's network of Fundamental Bench Marks (FBMs), of which there are some 194 across the UK, built between 1911 and the early 1950s. These FBMs are critical to maintaining the height data for the UK. Should a FBM be threatened it should be noted that OS are to be informed as soon as possible, and they will come and create a new one nearby, at their own cost, before the threatened one is lost. The Ordnance Survey should be contacted if an FBM falls inside the boundary, or within 30m of the boundary of a proposed development upon completion, or if an FBM falls inside the boundary, or within 30m of the boundary of the "construction area" or any other temporary area of a proposed development.
The FBM will be visible above ground level as a small granite piller, topped with a gun-metal bolt, and with a name-plate fixed to one face. This is intended as a marker only, with the real bench-mark being located in a chamber below ground level. Within this chamber, and covered with iron covers, will be a gun-metal bolt and a polished flint bench-mark, both set within fine granolithic concrete bedded on firm rock.
Whittingehame FBM west side of track, 148M SE of road junction - Elevation 138.88m
(3) Canmore Event ID 885268 (DOCUMENTARY REFERENCE/EXTERNAL REFERENCE):
NT 5745 7277 At a height of 138.88m, the position of the Whittinghame FBM is given as on W side of track 148m SE of junction between track and road. (N.B. the position of the bench Mark depicted on the current edition of OS MasterMap places the marker in the track).
Information from Mark Greaves (OS) 23 November 2011
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (1) Unpublished document: Greaves, M. 2011. Safeguarding Ordnance Survey Fundamental Bench Marks.
- (2) Unpublished document: Greaves, M. 2011. FBM Heritage Listing.
- (3) Machine readable data file: Historic Environment Scotland. 2018. Extract from HES Canmore database.