East Fortune Airfield, Brick/concrete Enclosure
- HER number: MEL877
- HER number: MEL10230
- Site Name: East Fortune Airfield, Brick/concrete Enclosure
- Grid Reference: 355045 679182
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Rectangular Enclosure (20th Century, Modern)
- Wall (20th Century, Modern)
- Airfield Building (20th Century, Modern)
- Summary: Brick and concrete unroofed enclosure
- Description: (1) In January and February 2006 Headland Archaeology undertook an evaluation of the East Fortune Hospital complex in support of a planning application by John G Gray (Homes) Ltd. The desk-based assessment indicated the likelihood of archaeological activity within the site boundary and showed that much of the current hospital complex consists of survivng buildings from the First and Second World War airbases that precede it. A rapid walkover survey identified a number of minor military structures not included on the original application plan and related to the use of the site during WWI and WWII.
Structure 1 is a 2-bayed brick and concrete enclosure, approximately 20m by 9m.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Interventions:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (1) Unpublished document: Atkinson, D & Kimber, M. 2006. East Fortune Hospital, East Lothian: Archaeological Assessment, Evaluation and Building Survey.