Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
East Fortune Airfield, Bomb Dump
- HER number: MEL877
- HER number: MEL10234
- Site Name: East Fortune Airfield, Bomb Dump
- Grid Reference: 355207 679302
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Concrete structure, bomb dump
- Description: (1) In January and February 2006 Headland Archaeology undertook an evaluation of the East Fortune Hospital complex in support of a planning application by John G Gray (Homes) Ltd. The desk-based assessment indicated the likelihood of archaeological activity within the site boundary and showed that much of the current hospital complex consists of survivng buildings from the First and Second World War airbases that precede it. A rapid walkover survey identified a number of minor military structures not included on the original application plan and related to the use of the site during WWI and WWII.
Structure 5 is a concrete-built structure marked on the 1945 plan as a bomb dump.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (1) Unpublished document: Atkinson, D & Kimber, M. 2006. East Fortune Hospital, East Lothian: Archaeological Assessment, Evaluation and Building Survey.