Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
Newhouses North Berwick
For copyright information please contact ELC Archaeology Service
- HER number: MEL10817
- Site Name: Newhouses North Berwick
- Grid Reference: 354214 684668
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Rectangular sill-beam constructed building
- Description: (1) In April 2014 AOC Archaeology Group were commissioned by Cala Homes (East) Ltd to conduct an archaeological evaluation and subsequent excavation prior to the construction of a residential development at Newhouse, North Berwick. An initial 5% evaluation of the 4.43 ha site was conducted, comprising 2,250 m2 of trenching equivalent to 1,125 linear metres with a machine bucket of 2.0 m. The evaluation revealed a simple stratigraphic sequence of thin topsoil overlying glacial till deposits of sandy clay cut by numerous field drains. Significant archaeological features were limited to a single location around which a 30 m by 30 m trench was excavated. This trench revealed a heavily truncated rectangular structure on a north south alignment measuring 13 m by 9 m with opposing entrances at the shorter north and south ends. The truncation of the structure and the lack of datable artefacts hindered its interpretation but it is probable that is the remains of a historic sill beam constructed building.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (1) Unpublished document: Humble, J. 2014. Newhouse, North Berwick: Archaeological Evaluation and Excavation.
- (2) Digital archive: Humble, J. 2014. Newhouse, North Berwick: Archaeological Evaluation and Excavation.