Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
Land West Of Aberlady Road, Haddington, Rig And Furrow
- HER number: MEL10864
- Site Name: Land West Of Aberlady Road, Haddington, Rig And Furrow
- Grid Reference: 350408 674367
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Remains of rig and furrow cultivation found during trial trenching
- Description: (1)-(2) A trial trench evaluation conducted by GUARD in 2014 found the remains of several shallow linear features aligned north-west to south-east in the south-west corner of the area under investigation. Most were removed via machine but four features were left in-situ and one sample excavated. This was found to measure 2.7m wide by 0.02m deep, filled with compact mid-brown and orange mottled silt. The linear features were interpreted as remant rig and furrow cultivation likely dating from the post-medieval period.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (1) Unpublished document: Hunter Blair, A. 2014. Aberlady Road, Haddington, East Lothian: Archaeological Evaluation.
- (2) Digital archive: Hunter Blair, A. 2014. Aberlady Road, Haddington, East Lothian: Archaeological Evaluation.