Partan Cleugh, Oldhamstocks
- HER number: MEL10893
- Site Name: Partan Cleugh, Oldhamstocks
- Grid Reference: 371738 667901
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Summary: Area of drainage
- Description: (1) In August 2009, CFA Archaeology undertook a desk-based assessment and walkover field survey at the site of the proposed Aikengall II – Wester Dod Community Windfarm. The north-west part of the proposed development area included an area already surveyed as part of the Aikengall Community Windfarm, and was not re-surveyed. The field survey identified an area of drainage ditches (CFA site 13) located on the northern side of Partan Cleugh. The ditches were found to be aligned approximately NNW-SSE and located at c.8m intervals, heavily overgrown with reeds and heather, but with substantial associated banks. Some of the ditches continue into a large enclosure (MEL10884).
(2) A large irregular shaped area of drainage is visible on modern aerial photographs in the area recorded by CFA, the visible ditches largely aligned NNW-SSE with a smaller area to the south-east of the recorded extent aligned NW-SE. An additional area of drainage is visible within enclosure MEL10884, this is aligned NW-SE to WNW-ESE.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Interventions:
- Related Places:
- (1) Unpublished document: Johnson, M. 2009. Aikengall II Wester Dod Community Windfarm , Middle Monynut, East Lothian and Scottish Borders Archaeological Desk-based Assessment and Field Survey.