- HER number: MEL10926
- Site Name: Blindwells, Tranent
- Grid Reference: 341759 674793
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Building (20th Century, Modern)
- Enclosure (20th Century, Modern)
- Summary: Site of building and enclosure
- Description: (1) In October 2009, CFA archaeology undertook a desk-based assessment and site visit of land at Blindwells, Tranent, as part of work for an EIA for a proposed housing development. The study identified a roofed rectangular building surrounded by a rectangular enclosure (CFA Site 11) that is depicted on the Ordnance Survey 1978 map. By the Ordnance Survey 1990 map an additional roofed rectangular building is depicted. Two roofed rectangular buildings surrounded by an enclosure
are visible on aerial photographs from 1988.
The buildings and enclosure have since been destroyed by opencast mining (MEL2193).
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Interventions:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (1) Unpublished document: Hastie, M. 2010. Proposed Blindwells New Settlement, Tranent: Cultural Heritage Assessment. Site no. 11.