Haddington, Giffordgate, Knox House / 'john Knox's House', Newton Port
- HER number: MEL1101
- Site Name: Haddington, Giffordgate, Knox House / 'john Knox's House', Newton Port
- Grid Reference: 352008 673650
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- House (18th Century, Post Medieval)
- Summary: House, 18th century, possible birthplace of John Knox
- Description: NT57SW 20 5203 7366.
(NT 5202 7312) Supposed Birthplace of John Knox (NAT)
OS 6" map (1855)
According to the OSA, John Knox was a native of Haddington and the house in Giffordgate in which he was born still remained. Miller, however, states that this is based on the fact that a family called Knox lived in a house in the Giffordgate; this family did not go to reside there until 3 years after the reformer had died in 1572.
OSA 1792; J Miller 1844
The ONB uses the above authorities only and identifies the house as "John Knox's House, Site of (Supposed Birthplace of the Scottish Reformer)".
Name Book 1853
At NT 5203 7366 is a mature oak tree encircled by a low stone wall surmounted by a railing. A large stone slab rests against the inside of the encircling wall and bears the following inscription: "Near this spot stood the house in which was born John Knox AD 1505. In commemoration an oak tree was here planted 29th March 1881 after the wish of the late Thomas Carlyle."
No further information was found.
Visited by OS (BS) 9 July 1975
Historic Scotland Listed Building Description: Late 18th century, 2-storey house; harled with slated roof;
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- Bibliographic reference: Miller, J. 1844. The Lamp of Lothian; or the History of Haddington, in connection with the public affairs of East Lothian and of Scotland, from the earliest records to the present period. 521.
- Bibliographic reference: OSA. 1791-9. The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes. Vol.6, 542.
- Bibliographic reference: Name Book (County). Original Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No.55, 15-16.