Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
- HER number: MEL1102
- Site Name: Haddington, Kilspindie
- Grid Reference: 351399 673899
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Site of dovecot, 17th century, demolished c. 1955
- Description: NT57SW 21 514 739.
(1) A 17th century dovecot is situated in the garden of Kilspindie. It measures 18ft E-W by 15 1/2ft under a slated, sloping roof. The front wall is 18ft high and 2 3/4ft thick with a door 10ft above ground.
J Whitaker 1938
(2) Area NT 5148 7397. This dovecot was completely demolished about 1955. Its exact site, however, is unknown.
Visited by OS (BS) 9 July 1975
Collection item PA 229/2/20/3 has tentatively been identified with this doocot despite the queried annotation verso identifying it with the Crocegate Doocot. The drawing matches the description of the Kilspindie Doocot given in PA 229 /13/2, which points out the lack of crowsteps and the eleven dove holes in the 'lean to' roof.
For the Crocegate doocot see NT57SW 18.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (1) Bibliographic reference: Whitaker, J. 1938. 'Ancient dovecots of East Lothian: a survey', Trans E Lothian Antiq Fld Natur Soc Vol. 3 1938, p.1-22. 14.
- (2) Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Site Visit.