Haddington, Court Street, Palace Of Haddington / King Street
For copyright information please contact ELC Archaeology Service
- HER number: MEL2943
- HER number: MEL1108
- Site Name: Haddington, Court Street, Palace Of Haddington / King Street
- Grid Reference: 351330 673830
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Site of palace, 12th - 13th century
- Description: NT57SW 27 5133 7383.
(1) NT 5133 7383) The Palace of Haddington stood in King Street, now Court Street, on the site of the present County Buildings. (See NT57SW 138 5133 7383.) Remains of its vaulting were found in 1833 when the site was being excavated. It was an occasional residence of William the Lion (1165-1214) and the birthplace of Alexander II in 1198.
C E Green 1907
No further information was found.
Visited by OS (BS) 9 July 1975
(2) Haddington, although an early royal burgh, did not have a castle. Gray and Jamieson (1944) describe a 'palace' (referred to by Green, supra) as the site where the sixth earl of Athol was murdered in 1242.
R Gourlay and A Turner 1977
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places:
- Bibliographic reference: Gray and Jamieson, W F and J H. 1944. A short history of Haddington. 139.
- (1) Bibliographic reference: Green, C E. 1907. East Lothian. 4.
- (2) Bibliographic reference: Gourlay and Turner, R and A. 1977g. Historic Haddington: the archaeological implications of development. 7.