- HER number: MEL1118
- Site Name: Begbie
- Grid Reference: 350010 670789
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Enclosed Settlement (Late Prehistoric, Prehistoric)
- Fort (Iron Age, Late Prehistoric, Prehistoric)
- Summary: Cropmark of an enclosed settlement
- Description: NT57SW 31 5001 7079.
(NT 5001 7079) Enclosure (NR) (site of)
OS 6" map (1969)
This oval enclosure with a single ditch is visible as a cropmark and measures about 350ft E-W by 280ft. It lies in a loop formed by an old stream bed and has an entrance at the E end facing open ground (aerial photographs CPE/Scot/UK257: 3152-3).
RCAHMS Marginal Lands MSS 1954
Dr St Joseph considers this site, which is on a glacial mound, to be an enclosed settlement.
J K St Joseph 1967
There is no visible evidence of any feature at this site, nor is there any local knowledge of any finds in the area.
Visited by OS (BS) 8 July 1975
Visible on CUCAP and RCAHMS air photographs.
(Undated) information in NMRS.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- Bibliographic reference: St Joseph, J K. 1967. 'Air reconnaissance: recent results, 10', Antiquity Vol. 41 1967, p.148-9. 148.