Prestongrange Colliery / Prestongrange Pumping Engine, Scottish Mining Museum, Prestongrange, Scottish Mining Museum Trust
- HER number: MEL112
- Site Name: Prestongrange Colliery / Prestongrange Pumping Engine, Scottish Mining Museum, Prestongrange, Scottish Mining Museum Trust
- Grid Reference: 337350 673679
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Summary: Disused colliery, 19th century, now industrial heritage museum
- Description: NT37SE 78.00 centred 3735 7368
NT37SE 78.01 NT 3730 7364 Beam Engine; Engine House
NT37SE 78.02 NT 373 736 Boiler
NT37SE 78.03 NT 371 738 Building
NT37SE 78.04 NT 3736 7368 Power Station
See also NT37SE 79 Prestongrange brickworks. Pump house and old generating station listed.
For adjacent and associated harbour of Morrison's Haven, see NT37SE 12.
Not to be confused with Scottish Mining Museum, Lady Victoria, Newtongrange (NT 333 637), for which see NT36SW 22.00.
Now a museum, under the Scottish Mining Museum Trust, and part of a 'coal trail'.
J R Baldwin 1985.
The remains of Prestongrange colliery and associated buildings are visible on a vertical air photograph (OS 85/015/28, flown 1985).
Information form RCAHMS
This site has only been partially upgraded for SCRAN. For further information, please consult the Architecture Catalogues for East Lothian District.
Historic Scotland Listed Building Description: Harvey and Company of Hoyle, Cornwall, erected 1874. 3-storey beam engine pump house and pump. Rusticated sandstone ashlar N elevation; stugged, squared and snecked sandstone to remainder. Rusticated sandstone ashlar base course; eaves course. Cast-iron beam, Oregon pine pump rod.
S (ENTRANCE) GABLE: wooden steps with finialed balusters to round-arched opening with keystone detailing, incorporating brick infill forming tripartite doorway, with round-arched openings, comprising central 2-leaf diagonally-boarded timber door, flanked by 3-pane windows. Tooled tablet centred above door, reading '1874' flanked by the initials 'ML'. 3 windows evenly arranged and centred at 1st and 2nd floors.
W ELEVATION: 2-leaf diagonally-boarded timber door to left at ground; pairs of windows centred at 1st and 2nd floors.
N GABLE: 2-leaf, diagonally-boarded timber door with radial semicircular fanlight, centred at ground. Wall-mounted metal brackets to outer left and right at ground. Giant central beam projecting at 3rd floor from deep rectangular opening in vertically-boarded timber frontage at apex, with timber doors flanking opening, 8-pane window to right of opening.
E ELEVATION: 2 pairs of windows flanking centre at ground; pairs of windows centred at 1st and 2nd floors. Brick infilled window to left between 1st and 2nd floors. Wall-mounted metal bracket to outer left at ground, and to left of centre at 1st floor.
INTERIOR: not seen, 2000. Includes steam end of beam; steam cylinder and cut-off valves; timber staircase with turned balusters.
10-pane fixed timber windows, covered by bipartite grills. Grey slate roof; metal ridge. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
(1) Field survey undertaken by the Prestongrange Community Archaeology Project in 2009 recorded that the majority of the buildings have now been demolished, possibly during the 1970’s when the area was turned into a museum. Field survey recorded that several fixtures and fittings, associated with the colliery have been re-located around the museum, including a pit cage and wagons. The pithead baths and canteen still survive, with the canteen now used as the museum visitor centre.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Interventions:
- Related Places:
- Bibliographic reference: Baldwin, J R. 1985. Exploring Scotland's heritage: Lothian and the Borders. 26-7, no. 2.
- Bibliographic reference: Mears, F C. 1948. A regional survey and plan for Central and South-East Scotland. 73.
- Bibliographic reference: Alexander and Castell, W and L (comp.). 1990. Scottish museums and galleries: the guide. 65.
- Bibliographic reference: Hay and Stell, G D and G P. 1986. Monuments of industry. 139-41, 154. pls. 139, 140 A-B, 141 A-C, 154A.
- : Hutton, G. 1998. Mining the Lothians,, Ochiltree. 84-9.
- Bibliographic reference: Butt, J. 1967. The industrial archaeology of Scotland, Newton Abbot. 254.
- Bibliographic reference: Oglethorpe, M K. 2006. Scottish Collieries an inventory of the Scottish coal industry in the nationalised era, Edinburgh. 128-129.
- Bibliographic reference: Minchinton, W. 1984. A guide to industrial archaeology sites in Britain. 171.
- Bibliographic reference: Hume, J R. 1976. The industrial archaeology of Scotland. 122. pl. 34.
- Bibliographic reference: Butt, J. 1967. The industrial archaeology of Scotland. 254.
- (1) Unpublished document: Jones, C. 2009. Prestongrange Community Archaeology Project: Archaeological Field Survey. Site 7.