- HER number: MEL1154
- Site Name: Stevenson House
- Grid Reference: 354449 674822
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Summary: Country house, probably early 17th century in origin, with substantial later additions and attention.
- Description: NT57SW 63.00 54450 74823
NT57SW 63.01 54449 74859 Little Stevenson
NT57SW 63.02 5445 7485 Coachman's House
NT57SW 63.03 54318 74545 Lodge
NT57SW 63.04 5461 7484 Walled Garden
NT57SW 63.05 54593 74869 Potting-sheds
NT57SW 63.06 54639 74894 Trust Cottage
NT57SW 63.07 54642 74939 Gardener's House
NT57SW 63.08 5450 7481 Garden
(NT 54450 74823) Stevenson House (NAT)
OS 1:10000 map (1978)
Stevenson House is a plain quadrangular house of three storeys built round a courtyard, apparently in the early 17th century. A moulded doorway of that period leads into one of the three - originally four - turnpike stair towers in the internal angles, and there are glass checks in the upper parts of some of the window reveals on the E side. (Dunlop considers that these checks indicate that the main structure of the house dates from about 1560.) Externally, the house appears late Georgian, and any other evidence of earlier work has disappeared under the harling which covered all except the pair of ashlar bows built about 1820 on the S front. About that time corridors were formed round the inner sides of the courtyard. The house was repaired and restored in 1946-50 and the early 19th century laundry wing (some of which may be the remains of a building older than the mansion house) and coach house were repaired and converted to separate houses in 1952 and 1956.
Stevenston, originally 'Stevenstoun' is mentioned in a charter granted to the Cistercian nunnery at Haddington (NT57SW 10) in 1359. There is evidence of a house of some sort dating from that period, and in a charter of Robert II the lands of Stevenstoun were gifted to 'William de Douglas of Straboc' with the consent of the prioress and nuns of Haddington. The 'fortalice' of Stevenston was razed by Hertford in 1544. The medieval establishment at Stevenston probably covered a larger area than the present house as old foundations were uncovered some years ago when laying an electric cable about 50 yds W of the existing building. Moreover, many stones are invariably met with whenever and wherever any new development in the garden is undertaken.
J C H Dunlop 1971; C McWilliam 1978
Historic Scotland Listed Building Description: Probably early 17th century in origin, with substantial later additions and attention. Plain imposing quadrangular house round small internal courtyard, 3 storeys and 9 bays.
Substantially modified circa 1820, when pair of bows added to S elevation and laundry wing and coach house added adjoining to N. Repaired and restored late 1940s, laundry wing and coach house converted and considerably altered 1950s, (Mary Tindall, architect). Mostly random rubble harled and pointed, but harl pointed to W, and S-facing bows in ashlar.
W ELEVATION: 9 bays, quasi-symmetrical. All windows with raised ashlar margins, chamfered. Simple cornice. Central flat-roofed porch in harl pointed rubble with rusticated ashlar quoins and rybats in grey sandstone, base course, cornice and blocking course, relieving arches visible over lintels. Door 2-leaf, 6-panelled with bevelled top, single window to each side of porch.
S ELEVATION: 2 advanced bows in brown ashlar sandstone, each with
3 bays, conical roof, ball finial. Flanked by single bay with windows to E. Top (2nd) floor foreshortened throughout. Westmost bow has door in central bay to ground floor, 2-leafed, with 3 glazed panels above lower panel. All margins to bows in polished ashlar, raised cills.
E ELEVATION: 6 bays, asymmetrical. To ground floor, 6 small openings only, including 2 infilled and 2 slit windows. 1st floor includes 7th window, a later slapping with cement margins. Windows to 1st and 2nd floor in 2nd bay from S both dummies.
N ELEVATION: plain and unassuming, extensions adjoining to NW and wall adjoining to NE enclosing outer courtyard with drive leading N. 3 principal bays, 2 plain dormers with piended roofs. 2 doorways and
1 window to ground floor, later stairway leads to 1st floor door, plain boarded, flanked by recent bipartite window with horns and timber mullion; Modern car port added in timber and plastic sheeting.
INNER COURT: piended stair towers to 3 corners, originally also to SW. 2-storey lean-to on all sides encloses corridors (added 1820?). Doorway to S side. Various windows, irregular, on 3 floors, plus
2 gabled dormers to E elevation only.
GATEWAY: to outer courtyard in ashlar with pyramidal cap, gate removed, adjoins enclosure wall in random rubble with semi-circular cope and
2 plain boarded doors. Outer gateway to N in ashlar with hemi-spherical cap.
Most windows timber sash and case without horns, 12-pane except where noted and 6-pane to 2nd floor on S elevation. Piended roof in graded grey Scotch slate, bell-cast at eaves. 7 stacks on roof ridges, all harled with projecting cope, thackstanes and decorative octagonal cans.
GARDEN AND STATUARY: garden to S features decorative wrought-iron gates, 1950s, featuring double-headed eagles. 2 cast-iron lions border path, close to 3 stone statues of children on plinths, 1 boy bearing fruits, 1 girl bearing flowers, 1 boy reading book.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Bibliographic reference: Savills. 2000. Stevenson House, Haddington, East Lothian: [sale particulars]. sale brochure.
- Bibliographic reference: Dunlop, J C H. 1971. Stevenson House, near Haddington, East Lothian. 1-45.
- Bibliographic reference: Palmer, J. 1963. 'Stevenson House, 'A House Reclaimed', Scot Fld Part 277 1963, p.33-35.
- Bibliographic reference: Hind, D. 2002. 'Stevenson House, Haddington, East Lothian (Haddington parish), early 18th-century formal garden', Discovery Excav Scot Vol. 3 2002, p.37.
- Bibliographic reference: Stevenson House. Stevenson House, Haddington, East Lothian,
- Bibliographic reference: McWilliam, C E. 1978a. Lothian except Edinburgh. 441-2.