Please note: Due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak we are currently closed.
North Berwick, High Street
- HER number: MEL1190
- Site Name: North Berwick, High Street
- Grid Reference: 355330 685329
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Stray finds of medieval coins
- Description: NT58NE 17 5533 8533 to 5487 8512.
Early in December 1882, 63 silver coins, including two pennies of Alexander III of Scotland, and the remainder of pennies of Edwards I - III of England, were found by workmen excavating a street in North Berwick. The coins were forwarded to the Exchequer and later returned to the finders.
G Sim 1882
Dr Richardson sites the above find to NT 5532 8533, just off the High Street, and adds that more Edwardian coins have been found at NT 5487 8512 (J S Richardson, 7 Tantallon Terr, North Berwick).
Visited by OS (JLD) 11 September 1962
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- Bibliographic reference: Sim, G. 1882. 'Notice of recent discoveries of coins in Scotland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 16 1881-2, p.464-72. 465-6.