North Berwick, Old Parish Church And Churchyard / St Andrew's Church, Law Road, Old Parish Church, Graveyard Walls And Monuments
For copyright information please contact ELC Archaeology Service
- HER number: MEL1193
- Site Name: North Berwick, Old Parish Church And Churchyard / St Andrew's Church, Law Road, Old Parish Church, Graveyard Walls And Monuments
- Grid Reference: 355351 685213
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Remains of the Church of St Andrew, 17th century
- Description: NT58NE 2.00 5533 8522
NT58NE 2.01 NT 553 852 Viking comb; midden
(NT 5533 8522) St Andrew's Church (NR) (remains of)
OS 6" map (1971)
(1) (2) This roofless church was built as a successor to the original parish church of North Berwick (NT58NE 3). Building started in 1659, but was not completed until 1664. Situated within a burial ground, it consists of an orientated oblong nave with a central western tower. (This church, in turn, was replaced by the present parish church, built at NT 5458 8529 in 1861.)
RCAHMS 1924, visited 1913; G Hay 1957.
The remains of this church are generally as described.
Visited by OS (SFS) 19 August 1975.
(3) The sundial at the SE angle of this church bears two dates: 1680 (though work started in 1659) and 1770. It is all of purple-brown rubble, but the more regular block-and-pin work and all the white stone dressings belong to the latter date, when the building was evidently re-modelled. The tower attached to the W gable also belongs to this second phase.
C McWilliam 1978.
(4) Historic Scotland Listed Building Description: 1664. Rectangular roofless church with central western tower of later 18th century. Large roughly squared Law stone rubble with grey ashlar dressings to later work. Plain skews and run-off skewputs.
N SIDE: symmetrical. Aisle now gone. Arched windows flanking with small windows at ground and below eaved to outer bays.
S SIDE: low projecting remains to E and S of former Session House abutting W end. Gable line of former vestry visible at centre with blocked doorway below and arched, voussoired windows flanking. 2 small windows in end bay to E.
E GABLE: formerly abutted by vestibule and stairway block; currently only central doorways at ground and gallery level.
W TOWER: 3-stage tower. Doorway in S side by re-entrant angle. Small arched windows to all stages at W, and top stages to S, E and N. Moulded eaves cornice. Slated bell-cast roof with lead flashings.
INTERIOR: deep window embrasures. W gable with blocked pre-tower windows and wooden lintelled doorway below. Polished granite and other wall plaques, some post World War II.
GRAVEYARD: Rubble boundary wall; low at S, highest at E. Includes early 18th century table slab on 6 squared baluster legs to John Crawford of Coldingham and family. Mid 19th classical century monument composed of 4 aedicules, moulded plinth above bearing pedestal and obelisk; statue missing. Several late 17th century or early 18th century interior decorative mural monuments.
Historic Scotland Listed Building Notes: Building began 1659 (Session Records). Cost £200. Seated 500 with galleries and loft. Additions resemble Prestonkirk Parish Church. Kirk Ports to N gave throughfare to protect graveyard. W E Lockhart painting of church interior in late 1870s, at burgh museum. Church replaced in 1882 by High Street. St Andrews Church, listed separately.
(7) In March 2004, David McAdam undertook a brief inspection of the fabric of the church building and prepared notes on the geology of the stones.
(8) In June to October 2010, AOC Archaeology Group undertook an historic building recording survey of St Andrews Kirk, North Berwick. The work was commissioned by East Lothian Council prior to the removal of the tower roof, which is in a state of decay and is being removed for health and safety reasons. Built as a cross-shaped church between 1658 and 1664, a square bell-tower was added to the west gable in 1770, accompanied with some selected rebuilding of the main church fabric. It was abandoned in 1878 and has been left to ruin ever since the heritors of the 'new' church auctioned the interior and roof materials in the 1880s. The north and south transepts have now gone (replaced with family burial plots) as has the roof and interior of the main church. The roof of the bell-tower is soon to be removed (the tower is scaffolded) and although some timber floors within are still present, its original timber stair no longer exists. The church is a Category B Listed building (HB No 30749, designated 1971) and a Scheduled Ancient Monument. The historic building survey included a detailed Level 2/3 survey of the entirety of the church, which included a photographic record, written and drawn (floor plan and sections) survey of the kirk and tower, with concentration on the tower, with additional floor plans of the upper levels and internal elevations of the tower.
(9) Delisted 06/06/2016 as part of the Dual Designation Project, but remains a Scheduled Monument, SM10351.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (1) Bibliographic reference: RCAHMS. 1924. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Eighth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of East Lothian. 57, No.102.
- (2) Bibliographic reference: Hay, G. 1957a. The architecture of Scottish post-Reformation churches, 1560-1843. 255.
- (3) Bibliographic reference: McWilliam, C E. 1978a. Lothian except Edinburgh. 359-60.
- (4) Bibliographic reference: Historic Scotland. Historic Scotland Listed Building.
- (5) Bibliographic reference: van Hoek, M. 1993m. 'Torrs 6 (Kirkcudbright parish): rock carvings', Discovery Excav Scot 1993, p.24.
- (6) Bibliographic reference: Campbell, T. 1996. Standing witnesses: an illustrated guide to the Scottish Covenanters. 153, 197.
- (7) Unpublished document: McAdam, D. 2004. St Andrew New Church.
- (8) Unpublished document: Sproat, D. 2011. St Andrews Kirk, North Berwick: Historic Building Recording Report.
- (9) Digital archive: Sproat, D. 2011. St Andrews Kirk, North Berwick: Historic Building Recording Report.