Prestonpans, High Street, Maltings
For copyright information please contact ELC Archaeology Service
- HER number: MEL124
- HER number: MEL123
- Site Name: Prestonpans, High Street, Maltings
- Grid Reference: 339023 674738
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Site of the original Fowler's Brewery from c.1770
- Description: NT37SE 87 3908 7485
(1) Malthouse shown on 1894 OS 2nd edition map. Presumably part of Fowler's Brewery.
(2) In March 2008, Abercorn Archaeology LLP undertook an archaeological evaluation at 43 High Street, Prestonpans. Three evaluation trenches were excavated in advance of development, covering 5% of a site considered to be the location of the original Fowler's Brewery. Foundations of two brewery buildings were recorded; historic maps suggests that these structures were standing in the mid to late 19th century, but an earlier origin is not impossible because the small scale and imprecision of earlier maps makes it difficult to establish if these structures are depicted. In addition, two phases of wall were recorded which may predate one of these buildings. A stone lined well was also revealed, and a Rapid Buildings Appraisal identified the SW gable of one of the probable brewery buildings surviving in the SW boundary wall of the site.
This site, on the south side of the High Street, appears to have been the site of the original Fowler's Brewery, founded in the 18th century. Known as the 'Old Brewery' it was originally rented by Robert Fowler, who later purchased it in 1774. It was not until 1820 that the brewery on the north side of the High Street was built, on the site of a former distillery.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (1) Map: Ordnance Survey. 1895. Haddingtonshire. 1:10560.
- (2) Unpublished document: Heawood, R. 2008. 43 High Street, Prestonpans; Archaeological Evaluation.
- (3) Digital archive: Heawood, R. 2008. Abercorn Archaeoloy Digital Files, 2008, 2.