Point Garry / North Berwick, West Golf Course, West Links
- HER number: MEL1265
- Site Name: Point Garry / North Berwick, West Golf Course, West Links
- Grid Reference: 354541 685502
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Summary: Approximate site of cairn
- Description: NT58NW 7 545 854.
(1) (2) The remains of a cairn, 18ft in diameter, lie in a bunker between the 12th and 13th holes on the West Golf Course at North Berwick. Excavations in 1907 revealed a short cist containing a crouched inhumation accompanied by a food vessel. Other skeletal remains and fragments of an urn were recovered 3 1/2 ft S of the cist. The food vessel was donated to the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland [NMAS].
J E Cree and J S Richardson 1907; RCAHMS 1924, visited 1913
(3) No further information. The course has been remade and it is not known where the former 12th and 13th holes were.
Visited by OS (SFS) 20 August 1975
(4) Crosses, without annotations, appear on the NMAS 6" record sheets at NT 5455 8554, NT 5452 8548, and NT 5456 8549. Possibly one of these refers to the site of this cairn.
Information from OS Recorder (IF) 28 September 1978
(5) A cairn was seen within a golf course bunker and excavated in 1907. The course has since been remade and the location of this cairn is unknown. There was no sign of this cairn during this survey.
Site recorded by GUARD during the Coastal Assessment Survey for Historic Scotland, 'The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Coast of Fife' 1996.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Interventions:
- Related Places:
- (1) Bibliographic reference: Cree and Richardson, J E and J S. 1907. 'Notice of the discovery of a Bronze-Age cist and urn in the West Links, North Berwick', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 41 1906-7, p.393-400. 393-400.
- (2) Bibliographic reference: RCAHMS. 1924. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Eighth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of East Lothian. 72-3, No.112.
- (3) Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Site Visit.
- (5) Unpublished document: James, H F. 1996. Coastal Assessment Survey: The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Border of Fife. 176.