Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
North Berwick Law
- HER number: MEL1294
- Site Name: North Berwick Law
- Grid Reference: 355669 683939
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Late Bronze Age socketed axe and bone bead
- Description: NT58SE 33 5567 8394.
(NT 5567 8394) Socketed Bronze Axe found (NAT)
OS 6" map (1969)
(1) (NT 5567 8394) A Late Bronze Age socketed axe, in the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS Accession no: DE 91) was found on the low fringe eastward of the quarry on the S side of North Berwick Law, and some 50 yds from the old entrance way to the plateau. A short distance W of the axe find, a large and unique bone bead was found at NT 5563 8394 (J M Coles 1962).
Information from J S Richardson (North Berwick Burgh Museum) letter and sketch plan, 11 September 1962.
(2) No further information was found regarding the find spots of these objects.
Visited by OS (WDJ) 16 November 1962.
(3) (Wallington type). Single find. Socketed axe, green, slightly pitted, trimmed; length 104mm, mouth 25 x 31mm, cutting edge 44mm, weight 295 gms. NMAS DE 91.
P K Schmidt and C B Burgess 1981.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- Bibliographic reference: PSAS. 1926. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 60 1925-6, p.10-26, 95-104, 149-55, 215-18, 254-6, 300-4. 17.
- (1) Bibliographic reference: Coles, J M. 1962a. 'Scottish Late Bronze Age metalwork: typology, distributions and chronology', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 93 1959-60, p.16-134. 68.
- (2) Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Site Visit.
- (3) Bibliographic reference: Schmidt and Burgess, P K and C B. 1981. 'The axes of Scotland and Northern England', Prahistorische Bronzefunde Vol. 9 Part 7. 176, no. 992.