Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
Gamelshiel / Gamelshiel Castle, Millknowe Farm, Hall Burn
- HER number: MEL1431
- Site Name: Gamelshiel / Gamelshiel Castle, Millknowe Farm, Hall Burn
- Grid Reference: 364980 664799
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Remains of tower house, 16th century
- Description: NT66SW 14 6498 6480.
NT 6498 6480 Gamelshiel Castle (NR)
OS 6" map (NG)
Gamelshiel Castle. The ruin of this building is situated 1/2 mile north of Millknowe Farm, on the left bank of the Hall Burn. The site is level, and the portions of building upon it consist of parts of the north and south walls of a small tower. The external width of the structure is 22 feet 6 inches; its length is indeterminable. The walls now standing are 20 feet high and some 4 feet thick, built mainly of whinstone in narrow courses. The basement floor has been vaulted.
Historical Note. - in 1505 John Forrest succeeded his father John Forrest in the lands of 'Gamelshields'. (Inquisit Spec Hadd, No.392). But in 1679 James Home entered upon the lands of Wester 'Gamelshields' as heir to his father George Home of 'Gamelshields' (Inquisit Spec Hadd, No.344).
RCAHMS 1924, visited 1913
Walls as shown on 6" Sheet. Good condition.
OS Reviser (AEW) 24 July 1952
As described by the RCAHMS.
Visited by OS (WDJ) 14 April 1966.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Bibliographic reference: RCAHMS. 1924. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Eighth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of East Lothian. 111-12, No.181.