Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
- HER number: MEL1453
- Site Name: Faseny Cottage
- Grid Reference: 360900 663499
- Civil Parish:
- Description: NT66SW 7 609 635.
(Approx. NT 609 637) Small, Excavated Hollows, Redstone Rig: There are three small hollows with the excavated material thrown up towards their lower sides, situated some 1300ft OD, on the SW slope of Redstone Rig about 600 yards N of Faseny Cottage. 'A' is oval, 11ft NW-SE by 8ft and 1 1/2ft deep. 'B', 30 yards SE of 'A', is circular, 9 1/2ft in diameter by 1ft in depth. 'C', 70 yards S of 'B', is slightly oval with quite a prominent bank on the WSW. It measures 8 1/2ft WNW-ESE by 7ft and 2ft deep. (The RCAHMS, describing other, apparently similar hollows on NT66NW 4 note them as probably the remains of shielings.)
RCAHMS 1924, visited 1913
NT 609 635. These crudely excavated hollows are as described. They are not the remains of structures but appear to be disused shooting butts.
Visited by OS (JRL) 3 May 1979.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Bibliographic reference: RCAHMS. 1924. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Eighth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of East Lothian. 138, No.224.