Dunbar, West Barns, Bielside / Bieldside House
- HER number: MEL1464
- Site Name: Dunbar, West Barns, Bielside / Bieldside House
- Grid Reference: 372941 678245
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Country House
- Summary: 19th century house adjoining 17th century windmill
- Description: NT67NE 106 65483 78292
NT67NE 106 65483 78292
NT67NE 52 65480 78310 Bielside Doocot / Windmill
(1) Historic Scotland Listed Building Description: Robert Rowand Anderson, 1866, sizeable extension
consisting 2-storey villa with 4-stage Italianate tower
adjoined to S of earlier 19th century house and 17th
century windmill, converted for domestic use. Roughly
coursed rubble with ashlar dressings, channelled quoins
and raised base eaves and band courses.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 5-bay, symmetrical. 3 narrower
central bays recessed with balustraded loggia bridging
between advanced outer bays; Ionic columns and ball-
finialled dies. Outer bays with tripartites at ground,
bipartites at 1st floor.
E ELEVATION WITH TOWER: 4-stage tower at centre of
asymmetrical elevation, with triple arcaded lights in
top storey, bracketted cornice and shallow pyramidal
roof; weathervane. Wide full-height canted bay to outer
left bay with 5-lights. 3-storey canted bay immediately
to right of tower, linked to earlier harled brick and
W ELEVATION: decorative gabled conservatory to left of
1866 S wing.
Plate glass glazing pattern to sash and case windows
with some 4-pane; bracketted cills to main windows.
Shallow pitch, slated piend roof; bracketted moulded
coping to ashlar stacks. Decorative gutter heads
INTERIOR: fine decoration retained, including stone
caryatid chimneypieces, ornate alabaster chimneypiece
with unusual tiles to cheeks, and angle chimneypiece to
Hall. Timber dog-leg stair. Gilded surrounds to pier
glasses; fine painted, Renaissance style wall decoration.
WINDMILL: red rubble sandstone, formerly harled, former
grain mill in funnel form. Stone stair spiralling up to
S to doorway in passage linking with earlier house.
Irregular windows and pigeon flight opening with cill at
wallhead. Leaded coping.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Bibliographic reference: Garden Haig. 1994. [Bielside House, West Barns, Dunbar, Scotland: sale particulars]. sale brochure.
- Bibliographic reference: McWilliam, C E. 1978a. Lothian except Edinburgh. 464.
- (1) Bibliographic reference: Historic Scotland. Historic Scotland Listed Building.