Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
- HER number: MEL1507
- Site Name: Bielside
- Grid Reference: 365541 678137
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Site of 17th century dovecote, demolished 1931
- Description: NT67NE 15 6553 7814.
(NT 6553 7814) Dovecot (NAT)
OS 25" map (1894)
Dovecot Bielside - A late 17th century dovecot stands on this property close to the main street of West Barns. It is rectangular on plan and measures 15 by 15 1/4 feet over walls and about 25 feet in greatest height. The walls are rubble built and have been harled; the flanks are crowstepped and the roof is slated.
The dovecot at Bielside was pulled down in the summer of 1931.
J Whitaker 1938
There are no remains of this dovecot whose site is now occupied by a market garden.
Visited by OS (DT) 28 August 1964
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- Bibliographic reference: Whitaker, J. 1938. 'Ancient dovecots of East Lothian: a survey', Trans E Lothian Antiq Fld Natur Soc Vol. 3 1938, p.1-22. 8.
- Bibliographic reference: RCAHMS. 1924. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Eighth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of East Lothian. 29, No.43.