Spott, Battle Of Dunbar I
- HER number: MEL1522
- Site Name: Spott, Battle Of Dunbar I
- Grid Reference: 367500 676040
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Summary: Site of the Battle of Dunbar, 27th April 1296
- Description: NT67NE 28 6750 7604.
(NT 6750 7604) Site of Battle (NR) Between the English and Scots AD 1296.
OS 6" map (1959)
The Battle of Dunbar fought in 1296 was between a Scottish force, marching to relieve the besieged Dunbar Castle (NT67NE 8) and an English force under the Earl Warren. The Scots were routed. The Ordnance Survey Name Book (ONB) states that the battle started in the valley between Broomhouse Mill (NT 6827 7638) and Oswald Dean (NT 6895 7652) and spread over a wide area.
NSA 1845 (J Jaffray); Name Book 1853
Battle of Dunbar - 27th April 1296.
L H Dawson, undated
No further information.
Visited by OS (RD) 22 March 1966
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- Bibliographic reference: Dawson, L H. Book of Battles and Sieges. 62.
- Bibliographic reference: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol.2 (Haddington), 74?
- Bibliographic reference: Name Book (County). Original Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No.34, 101-2.