Pitcox, Old Parish Church
- HER number: MEL10871
- HER number: MEL1608
- Site Name: Pitcox, Old Parish Church
- Grid Reference: 364140 675269
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Summary: Possible site of medieval church
- Description: NT67NW 15 6414 7527.
(NT 6414 7527) Pitcox Church (NR) (Site of)
OS 6" map (1959)
The site of the church of Stenton, formerly Pitcox, parish, before the transfer of the parish church to Stenton (NT67SW 8) in 1561. The church and graveyard are named at NT 6405 7522 on the First Edition 6", but no symbol is shown. The original surveyor described it as lying a little to the west of Pitcox.
RCAHMS 1924; Name Book 1853
The published site appears to be the locally-accepted site, although Mr C G Spence, Estate Owner, Biel, says that parch-marks noticed on a natural knoll at approx. NT 6401 7528 may indicate buried foundations, possibly of the church.
Visited by OS (WDJ) 22 March 1966.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- Bibliographic reference: RCAHMS. 1924. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Eighth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of East Lothian. 111.
- Bibliographic reference: Name Book (County). Original Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No.45, 49.