Tyninghame House / Tyninghame Estate, Tyninghame House Policies
- HER number: MEL1624
- Site Name: Tyninghame House / Tyninghame Estate, Tyninghame House Policies
- Grid Reference: 361917 679819
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Description: NT67NW 3.00 61934 79840
NT67NW 3.01 61898 79819 Sundial
NT67NW 3.03 61974 79870 Clock Tower Court
NT67NW 3.04 62121 79969 Stable block and dairy
NT67NW 3.05 61537 79589 Walled garden
NT67NW 3.06 61680 79564 Cottage
NT67NW 3.07 61467 79816 Haddington obelisk
NT67NW 3.08 61594 79583 Walled Garden, Gateway
NT67NW 3.09 61503 79665 Conservatory
NT67NW 3.10 62154 79972 Summer House
NT67NW 3.11 61670 79542 Gardener's House
NT67NW 3.12 61670 79542 Ingleneuk
NT67NW 3.13 62361 80131 The Avenue
NT67NW 50 61161 79011 Lodge
For remains of St Baldred's Church within the policies (at NT 6197 7970), see NT67NW 13.00.
(NT 61934 79840) Tyninghame House: There was a house on the lands of Tyninghame in 1094; additions were made to it in 1617. It was used as a country residence of the bishops of St Andrews as early as the 13th century (T Hannan 1928).
In 1628, it was purchased by Thomas, first Earl of Haddington and since then it has been the principal residence of the family. The house was extensively altered in 1829.
Country Life 1902
Tyninghame is named in King Duncan's charter to the monks of St Cuthberts in 1094. By 1250 Tyninghame and lands had become the proeprty of the bishops of St Andrews, continuing so for the following three centuries. All through the 16th century, it was leased to the Lauders of the Bass, who lived on the Bass Rock in summer and here in winter. In 1828, William Burn was commissioned by the 9th Earl of Haddington to make extensive alterations to the house by facing with red sandstone and adding turrets and spires.
Extract from Estate Records, Haddington Estate Office, Tyninghame.
Tyninghame House is a modern three storeyed mansion of red sandstone with turrets and spires. It is the residence of the Earl of Haddington.
Visited by OS (EGC) 6 November 1962
The 17th century character of Tyninghame House as it appeared in the early 19th century is conveyed by a sketch in the library and whose extent is clearly shown in the drawings for Burns's alterations. The old house was built round three sides of a courtyard (where some old masonry is still visible) open to what is approximately the S, the oldest part being the thick-walled N and W ranges. It subsequently rambled out to the SE and expanded to the N. Apart from the bay windows, Burns's only significant additions to this plan were the porch, the lengthened W range and a new corridor alongside the SE projection, where he also put on some new turrets; those of the W range were there already. However, the elevations were completely altered; the walls were almost enturely refaced, new windows made and the house given a baronial appearance.
C McWilliam 1978
Photographed by the RCAHMS in 1978.
(Undated) information in NMRS.
NT67NW 3.00 61934 79840
Architect: William Burn, 1829.
Historic Scotland Listed Building Description: William Burn, 1829, incorporating 17th century mansion. 4-
storey rambling gabled and turrets U-plan baronial mansion
with 2 and 3-storey projections to E forming service court.
Squared and snecked pink rubble with stugged ashlar quoins
and pink and grey ashlar dressings. Stone mullions and
transoms. String courses.
N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: advanced gables to left and right of
recessed centre with tall single storey central porch
projecting further; doorway altered Schomberg Scott, 1961, in
pale pink stone with bolection moulded surround and broken
shaped pediment with armorial. Pierced strapworked parapet.
Composition masses to right. Turret set in re-entrant angle
to left with narrow slits. Stair windows to gabled centre
bay of 4 and 3-lights. Projecting rectangular multi-light
window bay at ground and 1st floor to left outer bay with
parapet, detailed as above behind 2 irregularly set gables.
2 recessed, 2-storey bays adjoined to outer left with
rectangular porch set in re-entrant angle. Scrolled ornament
to gabled dormerheads. 3-storey gabled bay advanced to left
with high walls and ashlar gatepiers to service court beyond.
S (GARDEN) ELEVATION: deep U-plan gabled bay at centre; 3-
storey canted parapetted window flanked by windows at 2nd
floor and gablet dormers. Stair turret set in left re-
entrant with bowed projection adjoined to 1st floor height.
W COURTYARD ELEVATION: semi-circular projecting bay at centre
flanked to left by almost blank gable with raised battered
E COURTYARD ELEVATION: stair turret off-centre to left with 2
windows flanking at centre; recessed outer bay to right with
angle stair turret and consoled strapworked balcony. S gable of
W wing with full-height projecting rectangular window bay with
parapet detailed as above. S gable of E wing with canted bay
to 1st floor height with remaining portion of consoled balustrade. Pepper pot turret to upper floors at outer right angle.
W ELEVATION: almost symmetrical with stair turret off-centre
to left with balconied window as above and corbelled eaves
course. 2 window flanking to left, 3 to right with scroll
ornamented gabled dormerheads to 4th floor breaking eaves.
Shallow gables over 2 outer windows (N and S). Small attic
windows in gable head; multi-light canted windows at ground
and 1st floor with parapet detailed as above.
Service court nestles into E elevation with doorway at
innermost point under loggia at N.
Small-pane glazing pattern to sash and case windows.
Decorative gutter heads. Grey ashlar diamond stacks, linked
or clustered, with moulded copings. Grey slates. Swept-in
conical roofs to turrets with attenuated finials. Consoled
crowsteps and skewputts to gable heads.
INTERIOR: much original and eclectic decoration retained.
Currently undergoing subdivision (1987) with the minimal
alterations necessary. Ornate plaster cornices and
plasterwork ceilings. Bolection moulded door surrounds.
Jacobean stair well with plaster soffits. Original
wallpapers. Red marble Rococo chimneypiece in gallery; white
pilastered and corniced chimneypiece in Dining Room, of 18th
century, possibly from Rushbrooke Hall, Suffolk. Chimneypiece
in white marble with garland between owl and monkey in Lady's
Drawing Room, from Elie House. John Fowler pyramidal
bookcases in latter room with William McLaren 1967 mural
landscapes in approaching passage.
TERRACES AND GARDEN ORNAMENT: terraces stepped down by S of
house with stone steps and urn finials, leading to ruins of
St Baldred's Kirk. Scheduled Monument. Stone bordered square
flower beds with base course parapet and bold consoles.
Secret Garden to W of house with fountain shielded by stone
wall, incorporating fragments from Kirk. Modern summerhouse
in "Gothick" style in timber on rubble parapet and light
trellised gazebo with bellcote cap, circa 1960. Venetian
wellhead in courtyard, dated 1556.
GATEWAY: sited to NW of house, close by walled garden. 2
rusticated red sandstone square piers with moulded cornices
and stone acorn finials. Ornate wrought-iron pedestrian gate
with overflow and flanking panels in scroll and leaf
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Bibliographic reference: Knight Frank and Rutley. 1994. Tyninghame House: [conversion of house, courts etc to several houses]. sale brochure.
- Bibliographic reference: Knight Frank and Rutley. 1994. Tyninghame village, East Lothian: [sale particulars].
- Bibliographic reference: Knight Frank and Rutley. 1989. Tyninghame House: [sale particulars of conversion of Tyninghame House, service courts and cottages to several houses]. sale brochure.
- Bibliographic reference: Eddington, A. 1904. Edinburgh and the Lothians at the opening of the twentieth century ... contemporary biographies. 78.
- Bibliographic reference: Country Life. 1902. 'Country houses and gardens old and new: Tyninghame, Haddingtonshire, the seat of the Earl of Haddington', Country Life Vol. 12 Part 293, p.210-13. 210, 212, 213.
- Bibliographic reference: Hannan, T. 1928. Famous Scottish houses: the Lowlands. 182.
- Bibliographic reference: Small, J. 1883a. The castles and mansions of the Lothians.
- Bibliographic reference: Scott, W. 1838. Guide Pictoresque du Voyageur en Ecosse, p.202; illustr, 205. Vol II, article and photograph.
- Bibliographic reference: Tyninghame. 1987. The contents of Tyninghame, East Lothian, Scotland: [catalogue of auction held 28-29 September 1987].
- Bibliographic reference: Tyninghame. 1960. Tyninghame: a brief outline.
- Bibliographic reference: Hellyer, A G L. 1975. 'The garden of a plant lover: Tyninghame, East Lothian', Country Life Vol. 158 Part 4075, p.336-8.
- Bibliographic reference: McWilliam, C E. 1978a. Lothian except Edinburgh. 456-9.
- Bibliographic reference: Forman, S. 1953a. 'Tyninghame House', Scot Fld Vol. 101 Part 608 1953, p.28-9. 28-9.
- Bibliographic reference: Sudjic, D. 1991. `[Tyninghame House]: playing to the gallery', The Times Saturday Review.