The Chesters, Spott
- HER number: MEL1683
- Site Name: The Chesters, Spott
- Grid Reference: 366019 673929
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Fort (Iron Age, Late Prehistoric, Prehistoric)
- Summary: A circular bivallate fort
- Description: NT67SE 2 6600 7392.
(NT 6600 7392) The Chesters (NAT) Fort (NR)
OS 1:10000 map (1981)
Fort, The Chesters: A large example of a circular bivallate fort, ploughed down and robbed of any stonework which may have existed, but still impressive. It measures about 350ft in diameter within two massive ramparts with external ditches. The inner rampart is now spread to a width of as much as 60ft but is still 7ft high, while the outer is 45ft wide and 5ft high. The original entrance is in the ESE, and another in the W may also be authentic.
R W Feachem 1963; RCAHMS 1924, visited 1913
This fort is generally as described by Feachem. The outer ditch has to all intents and purposes been ploughed out, while the massive inner rampart has been reduced to a stony scarp except in the SE sector. No definite entrance could be located, the most likely place for it being in the NE sector.
Resurveyed at 1:2500.
Visited by OS (WDJ) 31 March 1966
Additional aerial photographs taken in 1980 by RCAHMS and also visible on vertical air photographs, (OS 73/123/75-6, flown 1973).
Inmformation from RCAHMS
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- Bibliographic reference: Feachem, R W. 1963b. A guide to prehistoric Scotland, 1st edition. 124.
- Bibliographic reference: RCAHMS. 1924. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Eighth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of East Lothian. 108-9, No.167.