Whittingehame Castle / Whittingehame Castle Tower, Whittingehame Tower
- HER number: MEL1704
- Site Name: Whittingehame Castle / Whittingehame Castle Tower, Whittingehame Tower
- Grid Reference: 360211 673222
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Description: NT67SW 2.00 6022 7324.
NT67SW 2.01 60184 73189 Tower Cottage
NT67SW 2.02 60133 73482 Pavilion Lodges
(NT 6022 7324) Whittingehame Castle (NR)
OS 6" map (1957)
Whittingehame Castle Tower (C McWilliam 1978) is rectangular on plan, with a staircase jamb to the N. It stands three storeys high, with a corbelled and crenellated parapet within which stands a cap-house (in use as a dovecot in the 1930s). The RCAHMS notes that the remains of 17th century outbuildings adjoin the tower on the E.
A mound of earth, 10ft high and 80ft long, possibly a gun platform contemporary with the castle, lies to the SE of the tower, on the slope towards Whittingehame Water.
RCAHMS 1924, visited 1913; N Tranter 1962; J Whitaker 1938
The property was acquired by the Douglas family in the 14th century. Lang asserts that the tower was built at this time, but the other authorities agree that it is of late 15th or early 16th century date.
M B Lang 1929
Whittingehame Tower (plaque on wall) is the only feature remaining of those shown on the RCAHMS plan. It has been restored and is in use as a residence, extensions having been added. The mound to the SE of the tower has been landscaped and is now a N-facing scarp, some 3.0m high, backed by a retaining wall.
Revised at 1:2500.
Visited by OS (EGC) 21 April 1966.
Possible 17th century garden.
N Hynd 1984.
Historic Scotland Listed Building Description: Late 15th to early 16th century L-plan tower house, with
single storey wing to W probably added in early 19th
century along with further alterations, and gabled
2-storey projection to S added 1964. 2-storey tower
house with cap-house. Deep corbelled and crowstepped
parapet with water spouts at intervals. Red rubble
sandstone; harled brick to 1964 addition. Chamfered
arrises to windows; small-pane glazing to sash and case
form. Grey slates.
TOWER: stair jamb to E side; doorway to left with roll and
cavetto surround and lintel shield (Douglases of
Whittingehame); small irregular stair windows above and
gunloop under parapet; further blind gunloops on N side.
N elevation with 2 early 19th century hoodmoulded
windows at 1st floor with smaller earlier window above.
Addition of 1964 on S elevation to right side with early
19th century wing adjoined to SW corner. W elevation
given hoodmould; small square window at centre. Early
19th century wing adjoined to SW corner. W elevation
given pointed-arch window at ground, probably in early
19th century; blind gunloop above and window under
parapet (recently repaired). Crowstepped gables to
cap-house, with gable-end stacks; diminutive cap-house
above stair jamb.
W WING: single storey, flat-roofed, 7-bay wing running to
W, adjoined to SW corner of tower, probably altered in
early 19th century and incorporating earlier walls and
formerly with crenellated parapet. N elevation blank with
dagger carved on 1 stone. 7 hoodmoulded windows to S
elevation, with penultimate window to right altered to
doorway (French windows). Moulded eaves cornice to N.
Drum stack, recently altered.
S ADDITION: 2-bays deep. Irregular windows with gabled
dormerheads to 1st floor windows breaking eaves;
doorway on S gabled elevation.
TOWER INTERIOR: barrel-vaulted ground floor,
white-washed. Outstanding 17th century strapworked
plaster ceiling to 1st floor drawing room with heraldic,
mystical and fertility symbols set in naturalistic borders
(recently restored). 17th century woodwork and wall
recess (servery); egg and dart enrichment to doors,
probably later 17th century.
WELLHEAD: white stone circular wellhead with acanthus
carving, worked at corners to support moulded square
surround; set on octagonal base. Decorative
SUNDIAL: octagonal stone columnar sundial set on stepped
octagonal base with blind quatrefoil carving on pedestal
and blind Y-tracery moulding to shaft; acanthus moulding
to wider neck and table cornice.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Bibliographic reference: Views in the Lothians. 'Views in the Lothians', p.65. 5.
- Bibliographic reference: Lang, M B. 1929. The seven ages of an East Lothian parish being the story of Whittinghame from earliest times. 130-1, 80-93.
- Bibliographic reference: Suddaby, I. 2006a. 'Whittinghame Tower, Stenton, East Lothian (Whittinghame parish), watching brief', Discovery and Excavation, Scotland, 7, 2006, 63, Dorchester. 63.
- Bibliographic reference: Whitaker, J. 1938. 'Ancient dovecots of East Lothian: a survey', Trans E Lothian Antiq Fld Natur Soc Vol. 3 1938, p.1-22. 22.
- Bibliographic reference: RCAHMS. 1924. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Eighth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of East Lothian. 132-3, No.213. fig.172.
- Bibliographic reference: Tranter, N. 1962-70. 'The fortified house in Scotland'. Vol.1, 58-9.
- Bibliographic reference: McWilliam, C E. 1978a. Lothian except Edinburgh. 469.
- Bibliographic reference: Hynd, N. 1984. 'Towards a study of gardening in Scotland from the 16th to the 18th centuries', p.269-84. 283.