Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
- HER number: MEL1959
- Site Name: Skateraw
- Grid Reference: 373540 675570
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Cropmark of natural origin
- Description: NT77NW 56 7354 7556
(1) (2) In September and October 2000 Headland Archaeology undertook an evaluation comprising geophysical survey and 21 trial trenches in advance of a proposed quarry at Skateraw, Dunbar. Two cropmarks interpreted as a settlement (MEL1958) and a possible ring ditch (MEL1959) were contained within the evaluation area. The position of the former was confirmed by geophysical survey but excavation established it as a natural palaeochannel. The subsoil was extremely variable across the site and most of the anomalies identified by geophysical survey were confirmed as natural features by trial trenching. The possible ring-ditch appears to be the result of naturally occurring clay patches.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- (1) Unpublished document: Headland Archaeology Ltd. 2000. Results of an Archaeological Evaluation at Skateraw, Dunbar, East Lothian.
- (2) Unpublished document: Noel, MJ. 2000. Geophysical survey on the site of a proposed sand, gravel and clay quarry at Skateraw, Dunbar.