Preston Mains Farm
- HER number: MEL1999
- Site Name: Preston Mains Farm
- Grid Reference: 359900 678450
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Burial (Bronze Age, Late Prehistoric, Prehistoric)
- Cist (Bronze Age, Late Prehistoric, Prehistoric)
- Summary: Cist burial
- Description: NT57NE 85 5990 7845
(1) Ploughing in a field to the NE of the main farm buildings dislodged the large capstone of a stone cist. The cist was constructed of upright single slabs of Old Red Sandstone, with a double wall at the E end, separated by a void. The joints of the cist were caulked with boulder clay, as were some of the upper stone edges. Within the cist was a flexed inhumation, its head to the W, lying on its right side. Many of the bones has rotted, leaving only a stain, although it was possible to recover the long limb bones, teeth and parts of the pelvis and skull.
No artefactual evidence was recovered. Two trial trenches were excavated to the S and W for 5m, but no other features were uncovered.
M Collard 1992.
(2) In April 2004, radiocarbon dating was undertaken by the Scottish Universities Environmental Research Centre on a sample from the burial at Preston Mains Farm. A date of 3625 +/- 35 BP was given.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- Unpublished document: Scottish Universities Environmental Research Centre. 2004. Preston Mains Farm Cist: Radiocarbon Dating Certificate.
- (1) Bibliographic reference: Collard, M. 1992a. 'Preston Mains farm (Prestonkirk parish): cist', Discovery Excav Scot 1992, p.50. 50.