White Knowe / Archerfield
- HER number: MEL2020
- Site Name: White Knowe / Archerfield
- Grid Reference: 350660 685759
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Summary: A well-preserved cairn
- Description: NT58NW 37 5066 8576.
(1) A well-preserved cairn, 18m in diameter by 1.5m high, is situated in a forestry ride near White Knowe.
Inf: G J Barclay and P J Ashmore, SDD(IAM), 1989 and 1990.
Scheduled as White Knowe, Archerfield, cairn.
Information from Historic Scortland, scheduling document dated 8 November 1993.
(2) (5) Cairn observed during field survey by Headland Archaeology Ltd in 1999. It measured 18m in diam, 1.5m high, and had steep sloping edges on three sides.
At the site of the scheduled cairn a scarped mound can be seen. It appears to be be a large natural dune with a smaller man made cairn built on top. If the two are taken to be one feature it looks like a scarped mound. The description given by Barclay and Ashmore corresponds to the dimensions of the man made upper section. The description given by Leslie which is found under the NMRS entry for the cists find spot corresponds to the dimensions of the large natural dune and the smaller man made cairn on top. At the location given for the cists find spot (NT 5057 8576) there is no such feature. The description given by Leslie also mentions the location of a flag staff. This appears to have been incorrectly located from the 1854 Ordance Survey 1:10,560 map. When plotted, the actual location for the flag staff lies to the south-west of both of the other features (NT 5046 8567). This location was confirmed by excavations carried out during the recent evaluation.
L Baker 1999
(4) The felling of trees on the Scheduled White Knowe cairn and the erection of a fence around the site was also monitored. No ground disturbance took place during felling operations and the fence posts were hand-driven. A piece of prehistoric pottery was recovered from the surface of the cairn.
Archive to be deposited in the NMRS.
Sponsor: Caledonian Heritable.
A Dutton and J Morrison 2003
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Interventions:
- Related Places:
- (2) Bibliographic reference: Baker, L. 1999c. 'Archerfield Estate, Dirleton (Dirleton parish), survey and evaluation', Discovery Excav Scot 1999, p.27. 27.
- (3) Unpublished document: Moloney, C. and Baker, L.. 1999. Desk Assessment and Walkover Survey: The Archerfield Estate, Dirleton, East Lothian. site no. 8.
- (4) Bibliographic reference: Dutton and Morrison, A and J. 2003. 'Archerfield Estate, Dirleton (Dirleton parish), medieval settlement; country house', Discovery Excav Scot Vol. 4 2003, p.55.
- (5) Unpublished document: Baker, L. and Moloney, C.. 2001. Appendix B3 Archaeology.