Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
Bass Rock, Lighthouse / Outer Forth Estuary, Firth Of Forth
- HER number: MEL2046
- Site Name: Bass Rock, Lighthouse / Outer Forth Estuary, Firth Of Forth
- Grid Reference: 360200 687265
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: Lighthouse with cottage, 1902
- Description: NT68NW 3 6018 8726
(1) Listed as Bass Rock, south side. Detached siren [fog signal] also noted.
Admiralty List of Lights 1980.
(2) Historic Scotland Listed Building Description: David Alan Stevenson, 1902. 2-stage and lantern, white harled
lighthouse with single storey, flat roofed, harled cottage
adjoining, built on fortified outcrop contemporary with Bass
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- : Paxton and Shipway, R and J. 2007. Civil engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders,, London. 119-20.
- Bibliographic reference: Allardyce and Hood, K and E M. 1986. At Scotland's edge: a celebration of two hundred years of the lighthouse service in Scotland and the Isle of Man. 110-11, 154.
- Bibliographic reference: Nicholson, C. 1995. Rock lighthouses of Britain: the end of an era?, Latheronwheel, Caithness. 204.
- (1) Bibliographic reference: [Admiralty]. 1980. Admiralty list of lights and fog signals: volume A: British Isles and north coast of France from Dunkerque to entrance to Goulet de Brest including North Sea oil and gas production installations. 206, no. 2864.
- (1) Bibliographic reference: Krauskopf, S. 2003. Scotland's Northern lights: lighthouses of the Orkney and Shetland islands, Lerwick. 16, 80-2.
- (2) Bibliographic reference: Historic Scotland. Historic Scotland Listed Building.