Please note: due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak the Centre is currently closed, but our website is still open for business.
North Berwick, St Andrew's Churchyard / Kirk Ports
- HER number: MEL1193
- HER number: MEL2132
- Site Name: North Berwick, St Andrew's Churchyard / Kirk Ports
- Grid Reference: 355342 685249
- Civil Parish:
- Summary: A Norse comb, c. 900, medieval midden material, and post-medieval burials disturbed during road-widening
- Description: NT58NE 2.01 553 852
In the course of a road-widening scheme along Kirk Ports, North Berwick, part of the old churchyard of St Andrew's was levelled, with the spare soil being sold. While spreading this soil, the purchaser discovered a Norse decorated single-sided antler comb, broken into several pieces. All the teeth were missing, apparently broken off before deposition. Scandinavian parallels suggest a date of c 850-950 AD.
Subsequently, a team from the National Museum of Scotland [NMS] and the Edinburgh Archaeological Field Society sieved the surrounding spoilheaps. No further material of this date was recovered but, apart from the extensive disarticulated remains of post-medieval burials, animal bone and a scatter of pottery spanning the medieval period was recovered. Examination of the area revealed only coffin fittings and two post medieval coins. The low density of finds suggests derivation from rubbish spread on fields rather than primary midden.
The comb was claimed as Treasure Trove and acquired by NMS, (registration no IL 969), with the finder being rewarded.
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Monuments:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- Bibliographic reference: NMS. 1994o. 'St Andrew's Churchyard, North Berwick (North Berwick parish): Norse comb, medieval ?midden material', Discovery Excav Scot 1994, p.46. 46. fig. 23: photograph of comb.
- Bibliographic reference: Hall and Bowler, D and D. 1997. 'North Berwick, East Lothian: its archaeology revisited', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 127 Part 2 1997, p.659-675. 664-665, 553 852.