Hedderwick Hill Plantation / Belhaven Bay
- HER number: MEL2358
- Site Name: Hedderwick Hill Plantation / Belhaven Bay
- Grid Reference: 365000 678899
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Tank Trap (20th Century, Modern, World War II Period)
- Trench (20th Century, Modern, World War II Period)
- Summary: Slit trenches, WWII
- Description: NT67NE 158 650 789 to 652 787
(1) Site recorded during a rapid coastal survey undertaken by GUARD of the S shore of the Firth of Forth from Dunbar to Stirling and along the N shore of the Forth to the Fife border. A gazetteer of all sites including listed buildings, designed landscapes, scheduled and unscheduled monuments was produced. Full details of the survey can be consulted in the report held by the NMRS.
Sponsor: Historic Scotland
(2) Slit trench system seen on 1946 aerial photographs but not visible on 1988 aerial photographs. B174 4060-61
Site recorded by GUARD during the Coastal Assessment Survey for Historic Scotland, 'The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Coast of Fife' 1996.
(3) The trench system is visible on vertical air photographs (RAF 106G/UK 1319, 5065-6, flown 28 March 1946) as two distinct lines set on the coastal side of a double line of anti-tank blocks which run E as far as the Bell Water. The anti-tank blocks continued W round Belhaven Bay. The anti-tank blocks have since been removed.
Information from RCAHMS (DE), October 2002
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Interventions:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (1) Bibliographic reference: GUARD. 1996. 'Forth Coastal Survey', Discovery Excav Scot 1996, p.115-117.
- (2) Unpublished document: James, H F. 1996. Coastal Assessment Survey: The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Border of Fife. 183.
- (3) Aerial Photograph: RCAHMS. Various. RAF 106G/UK 1319, 5065-6, flown 28 March 1946.