- HER number: MEL2375
- Site Name: Thortonloch
- Grid Reference: 375350 673949
- Civil Parish:
- Monument Type:
- Military Camp (20th Century, Modern, World War II Period)
- Military Base (20th Century, Modern, World War II Period)
- Summary: Site of probable WWII military camp
- Description: NT77SE 68 7535 7395
(1) Site recorded during a rapid coastal survey undertaken by GUARD of the S shore of the Firth of Forth from Dunbar to Stirling and along the N shore of the Forth to the Fife border. A gazetteer of all sites including listed buildings, designed landscapes, scheduled and unscheduled monuments was produced. Full details of the survey can be consulted in the report held by the NMRS.
NT 753 739 WW2 defences
(2) Roofed structures and ring shaped bank seen on 1946 aerial photographs (the area is now marked as a camp site on the 1:10 000 map). Probably a WW2 military camp, with gun emplacement. B17 7204-5 15/4/46.
Site recorded by GUARD during the Coastal Assessment Survey for Historic Scotland, 'The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Coast of Fife' 1996.
(3) "Roofed structures and a ring-shaped bank were noted on AP's of this area (B17 7204-5 15/4/46) but were not re-located on the ground."
- For more information contact: East Lothian Council HER
- Related Interventions:
- Related Places:
- Associated Periods:
- (1) Bibliographic reference: GUARD. 1996. 'Forth Coastal Survey', Discovery Excav Scot 1996, p.115-117.
- (2) Unpublished document: James, H F. 1996. Coastal Assessment Survey: The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Border of Fife. 188.
- (3) Unpublished document: Moore, H and Wilson, G. 2006. Report on Coastal Zone Assessment Survey: East Lothian and Scottish Borders. site no. 158.